Ruled out everything possible - opinions wanted

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry_Wells

Reaction score
Hello - 1st post (and will get right to it)

Suddenly, no water and no pressure. Assumed the pump was going bad. 2 wire submersible in ~180ft well (Gould pump).

Changed the pressure switch first (30/50 w/a 36 gallon bladder pressure tank) - not the issue.

Voltage was good at the pressure switch and at the pump. Pulled the pump up and replaced with brand new Gould 1/2hp 5GPM.

Same issue - no water/no pressure. Maybe the drop pipe is clogged. Snaked and it was packed with what we think is sulphur particles (and other sediment). Also snaked the pipe going from the house to the well casing.

With new pump 65ft in the well (50ft water line) and pitless adapter out of well casing, water flowing great now after snaked.

Put all back together and set adapter back in place. Flip the breaker and hit the pressure switch. 20lbs of pressure and nothing more. Replaced pressure gauge and check valve at tank. Still same issue.

Pulled pump up 25ft - removed pitless adapter, added barb, tee, pressure gauge and ball valve. Turned pump on - Pressure gauge pegs and holds pressure. So pump is good.

Ran well pipe directly to tank in house bypassing house to well pipe. No more issues and getting water like it was new.

Where is my issue? Does the pipe from the house to the well casing have a leak or did it collapse? Is there anything I'm missing before digging 5ft under?

Thanks in advance - really appreciate the help!!

I don't know about others but when ever we pull a pump we always replace the pipping as well, even if we are re-using the same old pump.

You may have breaks underground on the run from the well to the house. If you can isolate the house, use an air compressor to add water up to the piping going into the pitiless adapter the idea is to try to pressurize the line between well and house you may find you have leaks.

If you do have leaks my suggestion is to replace the whole line. I have a customer right now that has 50 psi at his well, pressure tank, and at one lawn hydrant. But some where in-between the pressure tank and his house there is leaks, he gets 15-20 psi at the hose bib just before the house.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back