plumbing along cinder block foundation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetwillie

Reaction score
I'm renovating the downstairs bathroom of a 50's split level. Whomever previously renovated the space used .5" furring strips along the cinder block foundation wall, presumably to maximize the space downstairs. The foundation wall extends about 32" from the floor up. Above that its framed out and insulated properly. They ran 3/8" copper from above for the toilet supply. To accommodate the toilet supply line they literally cut a v-shaped groove going down the outside of the cinder block. Above the cinder block the pipe was insulated with foam pipe insulation. Since their 3/8” pipe was looking pretty mangled, I decided to cut it and come down with .5” instead. My question surrounds getting this supply down through (or over) the cinder block. I could use the same method they used, though I’m a little afraid of the pipe freezing, since it would be right against cinder block. Granted, the previous stuff was against cinder block and never froze in over 25 years. (I’m in Pennsylvania).
My current idea is to cut a similar groove, but insulate the side of the pipe that will be against the cinder block, leaving the side that will be against drywall uninsulated. My thinking is that the pipe won’t freeze because so little of it is against the cinder block, and any heat from the drywall side would help.
Does anyone have any better ideas, comments, etc.? Ideally I would have reframed the whole wall but that’s not an option at the moment.
Another option is coming out of the wall above the cinder block and using decorative chrome plated stuff.
Thanks,
Bill

Latest posts

Back