Gas smell, backed up tub, gurgling toilet and the vent isn't the problem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYgalFla

Reaction score
I am a renter, and about a month ago had my landlord send a plumber to clear the vents (correct term I think). Last year when my tub was backing up and the gurgling was happening all over the house, this was the prognosis and fixed the problem. So a month ago, I started smelling the sewer gas smell and mega bubbling was happening so I thought I was catching the problem early. The plumber came and said the vents were clear...he snaked the tub...clear, and pretty much said if it starts backing up then we will go from there.

Anyway, today I smelled strong gas emanating from my bathroom, and then tonight I go to get a shower and notice the black grime in the bottom of my tub as it must have filled at some point. I curse, bleach it and turn the nobs to regulate the temp. Lots if bubbling from the toilet, and within a min. or 2 of getting in it starts to back up. It didn't seem to be sewage so I finished my shower. By the time I finished there was about half a tub full of standing water that wasn't draining. 10 minutes after getting out, the toilet gurgled and it was as if someone pulled the plug on my tub drain and it drained quickly.

I know I have gotta call a plumber because I pay too much rent to deal with long term plumbing problems, but I have an AMAZING landlord, so I hate costing him extra money and I felt bad about what I felt was a pointless plumbing appointment last month. He has said that tree roots have been an issue in the past, but I just wanted to be able to give more accurate info to the plumber to get this taken care of this time.

Thank you in advance for any info you can give.

It sounds as if you have a main line clog. Yes, a plumber can help you and your previous diagnosis regarding root intrusion is probably spot on.

Latest posts

Back