Water Line to the Refrigerator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stainlesssteve

Reaction score
Just bought a new refrigerator and hooked it up to the water valve in the wall. No water. Removed the hose from the valve and opened the valve. No water. This is a new home. The valve is in a recessed enclosure in the wall behind where the fridge goes. I am wondering if the valve is not connected to the main water line? How can I check this? Trying to figure out if there is something I am over looking before I call out a professional.

Thanks

Is it possible that the house is piped with PEX piping and a manifold system?

This is essentially a central box that has water lines running to each fixture and a shutoff valve in the box for each individual fixture. If your house has such a system, it is possible that the valve to the icemaker box is off.

If not, since this is a new home, can you call the warranty department with the home builder and have them get the plumber out to look at it?

Look under the nearest sink for another valve that feeds the frig. This is common. If not, the house should have a one year builder warranty that covers everything.

Builder won't return my calls and that is a whole other issue. I discovered that the line runs under the house towards the sink. It's a blue hose and it is just taped off underneath the house. There is a valve already installed in the sink cabinet I presume for the connection to this line. Appears that the builder forgot to connect the line from under the house up into the valve under the sink. So i guess I need to drill a hole through the cabinet floor and into the crawlspace. Then feed a hose down to the blue hose and connect it under the house?? Do they make a valve that will connect to the cut off piece of blue hose? Looking for advice on how to make this connection... Thanks!

You can get a connector (make sure it is the proper size to fit the valve) with a hose barb on one end, and a threaded connector on the other end.

If the blue hose is 1/4" plastic, you can connect them together using a brass coupler, but as with any connections, this area will be subject to leakage, especially if you overtighten the fittings. Your best bet is to run 1/4" copper line, but you can use the plastic line if necessary.

Latest posts

Back