softener no bypass valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jehay17

Reaction score
I had a contractor have his plumber install a new aqua systems water softener.
Now the softener now does not work and I am going on a trip. I tried to bypass but he did not put a bypass valve. Can I just unplug the softener until I return and have it repaired. Of course the contractor does not return calls.

most water softeners that I have seen have a built in bypass.
Got a model # we can probably look it up

From online manual of this model on Aqua systems web site SmartChoice GenII Water Softeners

Might be the same

bypass.jpg

the water flows through but it does not soften.

The illustration that david posted is the correct model-However the plumber id not install the knobs to have a bypass valve. There is no bypass.

you might have a problem called a salt bridge. How long ago was it installed

The illustration that david posted is the correct model-However the plumber id not install the knobs to have a bypass valve. There is no bypass.

All water softeners I install require the built-in bypass valve in order to connect water lines to the head unit. They NEVER have "knobs". Please post a picture of the water connections to the head unit. I think you may not realize what you are looking at.

Last edited:
There may be many reasons why your softener isn't working, but bypassing it won't help that; and if your going away on a trip, if nobody is using water in the house, it won't matter if you have a metered head. If the unit has the old style head that backwashes so many times a week, then a bypass would be nice.

You can build your own bypass with three valves.

Back