need help identifying shower/tub diverter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydoo

Reaction score
good day,
I need some help in identifying a bathroom shower/tub diverter as I would like to replace the cartridge or at least have a look at a new one to see if I am actually missing something. To cut a long story short it was purchased about 2 years ago from Rona up here in Canada and I have only just got round to installing it. Unfortunately once installed water still leaks out of the tub faucet portion. therefore I am not sure if something is actually missing or the cartridge is busted, though on inspection it looks ok to me. There is no manufactures mark and I don't have the original packaging to show where it came from.

Hopefully !! the pictures have attached properly

Thanks for looking.

bathroom faucet 001.jpg

bathroom faucet 002.jpg

Make sure valve body is clean of debris before installing cartridge. Check pressure to house. And might be a defective cartridge

That is a price phister ceramic disc cartridge. What fixture is that going in?

Dont believe that stem is for a tub or shower. Only seen those in kitchen and lav faucets.

EZ Flow without balancing spool. Looks a lot like Price Phister, but I'm sure we all know how manufactured products are shared between sellers.

Or manufacturing is done by a single source for multiple sellers. Like how Thompson Multimedia makes GE, RCA and other big label electronics and a Whirlpool water heater is not made by Whirlpool.

Reactions: SHR
I managed to pick up a 'similar' cartridge which actually does fit and, funny enough, slows the water to a trickle through the tub spout. Still not fixed the problem though; I don't want to tighten up the bonnet nut any more than I have already as I am pretty sure (please tell me if I'm wrong on this) you don't need to be the Hulk to undo it. I'm at the point where I think that there might be a problem with the valve body itself though for the life of me I cant see why when the cartridge is in the off position and the plastic body of the cartridge slides over the hot an cold water inlet holes it still lets in some water??

I'm no Plumber (and I bow to you guys superior knowledge on this) but it seems like it should work....bloody frustrating!!
BTW I am on a well supplied water here so the pressure from my small tank is ok

I pulled the plastic assembly out of the main valve body and found the following; (photographs attached) Upon taking it apart I noticed that one of the small black 'O' ring washers was hanging off the valve? (looks like a few watch battery's on their side). Also there 'appears' to be a washer/gasket missing from the rear of the part? possibly sealing the plastic valve assembly to the rear of the metal housing by the water inlet holes.
Looking at the valve it looks almost 'used' and I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense just to go get another more reliable, more mainstream product....

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

If you can it would probably be best to install a new valve. Moen is a popular valve and is not going anywhere. You would want to get a moen positemp valve.

Back