continual clogging toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOnMV

Reaction score
Hello all

This is a weird one. One of my kids has the embarrassing habit of clogging toilets. Not only our two, but over a friends house as well. He uses as little paper as possible, but it seems his must just be a larger diameter than normal. I'm wondering if there is a bowl out there which is less prone to clogging. I'm ready to make the investment for my sanity and his ego.

Thanks

Kohler Wellworth, Kohler Cimarron, Gerber Viper, Gerber Avalanche, are all toilets that I have installed with good success. The Cimarron, though it has been awhile, stood out as an exceptional toilet. Another one that seems to have a great reputation among professional plumbers is the Toto line, but I have never installed one, so can't personally comment.

Toto toilets are the best. Never been called back on one. Little pricey but best on the market

Reactions: SHR
Yes, they are excellent but way out of my price league.

Some of the good Toto toilets are now in the same price range as the Kohler Cimmaron. Check online and try calling local supply houses for qoutes.

Okay, I gotta pull this train off of the tracks and redirect it in another direction.

I think the real problem here has been missed so please bear with me.
I have kids, too. They have done the same thing to clog the toilet and you have also mentioned a friend's toilet was clogged as well.
Other than being a plumber, I have had some experience in other fields. If your child is having very large bowel movements your solution may not be in a new toilet, but in adjusting his/her diet. Talking to your pediatrician about this is more important than you may think. Having enough fiber in their diet plays a big role in how many other body processes work. Too much bowel pressure from large, hard stools in the intestines can adversely affect bladder drainage and kidney function (kinda like hydronephrosis...google it.) and girls may be more likely to get UTIs. Impacted bowels are also an uncomfortable and urgent problem for kids and the elderly that sometimes require surgery to remedy.
My younger daughter was having the same problem and a tablespoon of metamucil in 8 oz. of water was helpful and not aggressive like laxatives. I also noticed that she had dry lips daily and wasn't drinking enough water at school. We don't have sodas/colas in the house, but reminding and reinforcing the need to drink water is also a must for proper digestion.
It has also been my experience that children that are distracted with video games or other technology will hold back from going to the bathroom and create the same problems because they don't want to break from the mental stimulation. Setting limits and promoting good dietary habits seem to have resolved the issues with my daughter.
I have to recommend talking with a pediatrician before using any over the counter softeners or supplements and also just to voice the concern to see if he/she may have a professional recommendation.

Last edited:
Caduceus is right about the diet change for your son. It sounds like he needs to make some adjustments to stop the giant hard stool.

As for the toilet question, I installed and currently use a Toto Drake. It has a SanaGloss coat that helps to prevent some stuff from sticking to it. It has a 3 inch drain so it has a powerful flush and it does not splash. It's 1.6gpf and its map rating (I think its called map) is 900grams. Only thing is, if you use any toilet paper at all, you need to hold the lever down for longer (it has dual flush-- shorter hold for a flush using less water for liquid only wastes and longer hold to use more water). The only time it clogged was because of the pipes after the toilet. Something is installed incorrectly under there and stuff gets caught and has to be snaked out every few months.

Back