My toilet is behaving in a strange manner

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash147

Reaction score
Hi experts

I'm a newbie on this forum and request help/advice from the xperts to tame my toilet's strange behaviour.:)

I'm living on the 1st floor in a 16 storied apartment block.There are 4 flats per floor.This strange behaviour of my toilet started around 3 months back and happens intermitently thru out the day and night.The water which is at the base of the toilet seat begins to rise all by itself and makes a lots of noise.If someone is siting on the toilet seat his bum gets wet with dirty water flowing out of the seat with force and creating a bubbling sort of an effect.:mad: It continues for a minute or so and then settles down.The seat becomes very dirty and smells a lot.If by chance the seat is kept open and no one is using the toilet and this bubbling starts the water spills out of the seat and makes the toilet floor dirty.Just before this happens I can sense the water gushing down the common drain pipe from the higher floors.
No idea why this is happening.. :confused:Can anyone help me out in diagonising this problem.
Thanks in advance.

There is a partial blockage in the main drain piping. When others in the building use any fixtures, the water is not being drained completely through the piping and is backing up through your line. Call your apartment maintenance or manager.

Hi experts

I'm a newbie on this forum and request help/advice from the xperts to tame my toilet's strange behaviour.:)

I'm living on the 1st floor in a 16 storied apartment block.There are 4 flats per floor.This strange behaviour of my toilet started around 3 months back and happens intermitently thru out the day and night.The water which is at the base of the toilet seat begins to rise all by itself and makes a lots of noise.If someone is siting on the toilet seat his bum gets wet with dirty water flowing out of the seat with force and creating a bubbling sort of an effect.:mad: It continues for a minute or so and then settles down.The seat becomes very dirty and smells a lot.If by chance the seat is kept open and no one is using the toilet and this bubbling starts the water spills out of the seat and makes the toilet floor dirty.Just before this happens I can sense the water gushing down the common drain pipe from the higher floors.
No idea why this is happening.. :confused:Can anyone help me out in diagonising this problem.
Thanks in advance.

I would call out a Ghost Buster ;)

Just kidding seems like a blockage along the line somewhere get hold of a plumber

There is a partial blockage in the main drain piping. When others in the building use any fixtures, the water is not being drained completely through the piping and is backing up through your line. Call your apartment maintenance or manager.

Thanks for the suggestion.what u mentioned was absolutly correct and the problem got recitified.

thanks again

Unless you are an owner of this complex, I would recommend never calling a plumber until the management has had a chance to correct the problem. By doing so, there is a chance you will not get reimbursed for the cost of the plumber. I understand your problem has been corrected already, so this information is for future tenants who may have similar problems.

Back