Drain obstructing the washer vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dietcolarocks

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm doing a DIY project and have run in to a road block. I've gotten conflicting advice from two different plumbers. Hoping someone can help me reach the best solution.

The picture below shows the current setup for the washer drain. The 2" pipe from above is a shower and tub drain. The 1.5" is a vent.

I'd like to move the washer drain to the right side of the pipes, and put in a sink on the left. The sink on the left is not a problem, already easy access to vent and drain. However, when I put the washer drain on the right, I don't seem to have access to the vent.

Plumber One (retired) said, "Just use the 2" drain, it's already vented above so don't worry about connecting it to the vent". Everything I read seems to say you do indeed need a proper vent. He's retired, so I'm thinking he's giving me advice that will work but isn't necessarily up to current code.

Plumber Two (via a phone call) said to use an AAV. I could do this in a panel behind the washer/dreyer which is stacked. This is something I've thought about but seems to me that you need air to escape the drain. (If a lot of waste is coming down the drain, it seems it would create positive air pressure and push the waste in the washer's p-trap.) I'm not a plumber so maybe I'm over thinking this.

Anyway, anybody agree or disagree with One or Two or have better ideas? All replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

plumbing.jpg

Last edited:
Back