Replaced flush gasket results in worse leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovermier56

Reaction score
I had a leak from the right side facing the toilet between the tank and bowl. Bout a universal repair kit for Ferber 98 model toilet. Replaced flush valve and refill valve. Results in large amounts of water gushing from original small leak area.
Gasket is good
No leaking from replaced bolts
Gushes water only when flushed
Bolted down evenly confirmed with s level
Tank is tight cannot shift or wiggle in any direction
Lock nut on flush valve double checked for proper seating and tightness
No visible or felt cracks in the tank or bowl

Why do I have a worse problem than I started with

If it leaks only when flushed it sounds like the close couple gasket which goes on the bottom of the flush valve to seal the tank to the bowl.

Thanks for the posts bokt rubber washer metal washer nut install order is good. Yes the gasket seems to be the problem two news ones tried returned to the store with both and had them checked for any reason they would not be sealing both are fine

When you changed the tank bolt you may have shifted the tank. Those tank gaskets take a shape after years of being compressed. You may have altered it.

Some toilets take special gaskets. For instance older gerber toilets take a thicker gasket that you can only get from supply houses. Eljer is another toilet that takes a special gasket. The gaskets you have might not be thick enough to make a seal

Latest posts

Back