ABS Drain Pipe Deterioration and Repair

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbesq

Reaction score
I had a leak in the ABS drain pipe from my upstairs shower. Once I found the leak, I was very confused. There is what appears to be a 1/4" corrosion gap just above a joint where it comes up through my first floor exterior wall. It appears to correspond to a steel wire that was wrapped around it to hold two water lines in place while concrete was poured around it.

Questions
1. What caused the corrosion of the ABS pipe?
2. What is the best way to repair this without tearing out the concrete? It only drains the upstairs shower. The break is right above where the pipe meets the female joint and only several inches above the concrete. (See photo)

Thanks!

20170417_145645.jpg

Only way to fix it is to cut out the bad section and replace it. This will include concrete removal to a point you can cut out the bad and cement on new. Typical ABS deterioration, I see it often.

Is there a way to use something other than rigid ABS pipe to repair this? After I remove the damaged area, the two remaining sides are not moveable, so I am not sure how to slide a fixed/solid piece of ABS into the gap and secure on both ends. Is there a flexible alternative, such as some type of hosing with hose clamps that would suffice?

Thanks!

I have never seen DETERIORATED ABS pipe. Cracked YES. Rust is from the wire maybe OR the pipe is cracked.
If the pipe is cracked right at the hub of the fitting sticking up out of the concrete, you might be able to remove the piece of pipe from the fitting without having to dig out the fitting from the concrete.

Search for a 2"ram bit.

The pipe actually deteriorated. Could there have been a chemical reaction between the solvent and the wire? The rust is from the wire, but there is actually an 1/8 - 1/4" gap where the pipe deteriorated exactly under where the wire used to be. The picture does not do a good job of showing it.

Thanks for the ram bit idea! I ordered one online today.

Back