Kitchen sink replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalplumber

Reaction score
I am looking to replace our 12 year old white kitchen sink. Problem is, none of the sinks I find at the big box stores have the hole for the dishwasher airator (sp?)?

So am I just looking at the wrong place, should I drill an additional hole or do I no longer need this vent?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Air gaps are required when installing a dishwasher. I've heard you can find a few high end (very, very expensive) model dishwashers which have them built in, but I've never seen one.

Most sinks come with an option of 3, 4 or 5 holes. If the sink you like has less holes than needed, you can either drill another hole (unless it is porcelain, which will chip and look horrible), or purchase a new faucet that has a built in sprayer or one with a combination sprayer/soap dispenser, which will free up a hole you could use for the air gap.

If the above two options don't appeal to you, you can either continue shopping, or special order the sink with the needed holes.

Air gaps for residential dishwashers are obsolete here in Michigan. They only require a "high loop" in the waste line.

Basically it means the the waste line for the dishwasher be secured as high as possible inside the cabinet. If there is water inside the dishwasher, what good does an air gap do that is on the other side of the pump to prevent cross contamination?

The dishwashers are supplied with check valves and solenoids to "prevent" cross connection.

I agree with you Reedwalker. Some cities still nit pick the needs for them, similar to the mandatory requirement with having anti backflow devices on all exterior faucets. We had an inspector check every house here at Lake Havasu and fined you $50 for each non-protected faucet, even though our water supply is 200' higher than our house.

Air gaps for residential dishwashers are obsolete here in Michigan. They only require a "high loop" in the waste line.

Basically it means the the waste line for the dishwasher be secured as high as possible inside the cabinet. If there is water inside the dishwasher, what good does an air gap do that is on the other side of the pump to prevent cross contamination?

The dishwashers are supplied with check valves and solenoids to "prevent" cross connection.

So are you saying just loop it high with one end still coming from dishwasher and the other end still connected to the drain with the loop in between?

Thanks

That is basically about it. The other concern and need for the air gap is that it allows us to know visually when there is a clog or back up in the drain line. With the air gap, any blockage will blow its contents into the sink. Without one, the pressure of the dishwasher pump pushing waste could cause a blow out in your line, which would cause a mess under your sink.

Thanks, the wife has wanted one of those faucets that has the built in sprayer, maybe I should do that?

Any opinion on reliablity of those?

Latest posts

Back