Adding three sink to washer drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaportx

Reaction score
Attached are two pictures for existing plumbing to the washing machine and crude picture of adding three new drains for three additional sinks.
IMG_1081 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

three new drains with vents - Copy (Medium).jpg
We need to add one hand sink, one mop sink and one large 3 compartment sink.

Any advice or recommendations if this would meet building codes in Texas and if there is a simpler way.

· Adding new Y connector and moving existing washer drain up higher to make room for drains running underneath.

· Use existing Y connector for hand sink

· Adding new Y connector below for mop sink

· Adding new Y connector at bottom for large 3 compartment sink

· All three sink, hand sink, mop sink and 3 compartment sink will have vent tied into to existing roof vent using T connector

· Washer drain since at top of stack will continue to use root vent

Questions:

· I assume each drain must be separated?

· Are separate vents needed for each of the drain lines?

· Is it ok to use T connector for the vents where they connect to drain?

· For the drains close to the bottom of the floor, is there a minimum height for the drains to be above the floor?

· The Y connector at the main drain pipe, is it ok to stack four Y connectors?

· With this many drains running into one pipe is there a minimum size the drain must be?

· Is there a simpler way to design this and meet building codes?

What is this for? A commercial kitchen or restaurant? When you say "mop sink" do you mean laundry tub? Also, it already appears that you will exceed the recommended volume for the 2" pipe (vertical fixture units).

Yes, commercial kitchen, we need to add three sinks, hand sink, mop sink and large 3 compartment sink.

Do you see any way we can make this work?

I am not familar with building codes, is the exceed recommended volume for 2" pipe a recommendation or something that will fail build codes?

As far as my codes are concerned, no, it won't work the way you want it to. Primarily, where is your grease trap? The proper pipe size and installation is a code requirement and believe me when I tell you that you don't want to run a commercial kitchen that is not piped properly. It's best to get somebody on the job sit to make a recommendation.

Hire a plumber, there are many codes that you need to know about... not second hand stuff, you need to KNOW how to run this piping. 2" drain, too little, no grease trap, wrong piping type ( inmortant to use the right kind in commercial drain ). andBeing that Im also a gasfitter I suppose its worth saying that you NEED to hire one of us to make sure you dont have mega problems with your intake air and ehaust hoods.

:)

I agree. That won't work. That's what you call wet venting and not recommended.
Nice cut and paste job though.

If you were to do this you would need to bring all of the drains seperatly through the floor and connect them with proper drainage fittings. You can not vertically wet vent a laundry box into another fixture because of suds. You can wet vent the hand sink into the laundry though. As for the commercial sinks you can not wet vent them at all and as said above, they will require a grease trap if they are to be used to wash dishes with. There are a hand full of other minor codes as well. Best to call a licensed plumber to do this right.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is for a commercial kitchen then your going to need a grease trap..period. But if this is for a church kitchen or something similar then it depends. Some code officials treat a church kitchen as a residence and a grease trap was not required. But it varies city to city. Most do require it even for church social halls, but I'm come across some who said it was find without.

That someone said you needed a mop sink, hand sink and 3 compartment sink, would mean that its most likely grease trap time. You'll need to check with your local building official and possible the health department to determine what type of grease trap or interceptor is required.

This should have been caught prior to rough in being finished.

Looks like this job needs to start under the floor and work it up to be right. Not there to look at different options though

Definitely more units than can be handled with what's existing

You might get past inspection without a grease trap if the business uses throw away plates and silverware. It works in Michigan.

Latest posts

Back