Joist in way of toilet drain, want to change from 10 a 12"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyb

Reaction score
Hi all, first post, long time visitor.

I am remodeling a bathroom. There is(was) a 10" spacing toilet. The drain center is more like 9.5" from the finished wall. I am planning on tiling the wall and I believe this will make it impossible to use the 10" toilet. I really want a 12" toilet anyway. The problem is that the joist is directly in front of the current drain. The joist runs parrallel to the back wall.

It appears that the builder originally intended to use a 12" drain as there is a jig saw cut where you would expect a hole to be but I am guessing they hit the joist and decided to opt for the 10"

There is a soffit under the floor so I could probably extend the pipe but what about the pitch? Wouldn't the other end of the pipe have to be lowered? I don't have the floor completely removed to see everything but I can see the joists there. Should I cut a hole? And what's the proper way to patch the hole?

Any ideas? I am a DIY'er and trying to get a plumber friend over but he can't make it for a few days. The project is at a stand still. Thanks

By the time you extend far enough to clear the other side of the joist, you will be somewhere around 16" or so. Even with a 14" rough toilet, you are going to be cutting into the bathroom space rather severely.

Yes, there was definitely a joist right in the way. I ended up leaving it where it was and using a Kohler Cimarron toilet. It was designed for 10" but actually had plenty of clearance to clear my 9-1/4 rough.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back