Replacing old Leaded Drum Trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderosa3

Reaction score
I have an older home that my wife and I renovating... we are starting with the kitchen and have it down to studs. Our 2nd floor bathroom is directly above the kitchen.

I noticed that the tub has an old drum trap that has leaked in the past before our renovation started. What would happen is if the tub was draining while you flushed the toilet... the drum would overflow causing water to drip down into the kitchen through the light fixture :eek:

I suspect the back pressure was causing this and now that the ceiling is out I feel it is time to revamp this old style trap.

I have read that PVC P traps are the way to go. My question is how do I connect the new style PVC to the old cast iron and copper pipe? Can I use proflex couplings like this:

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings

Thanks for any advice... Just want to make sure once I cut this out it is done right before hanging the ceiling.

First off I would guess that any prior leak was coming from a compression nut joint as opposed to the actual drum trap, although threads from tailpieces into the trap can fail & leak. Anyhow, drum traps are illegal per the code of the state I work in ( New Jersey ).

To replace the existing drum trap I would do the following:
1) Cleanly cut the copper drain line onto which the drum trap drains.

2) Place a full-band 1 1/2 copper by 1 1/2 plastic fernco band on the drain line you removed the trap from.

3) Replace the entire waste & overflow assembly from your tub ( the drain piece at the bottom & the plate that is on the wall of the tub ). Replace the waste/ overflow with either a PVC or an ABS u-built tub drain assembly. In addition to the u-built kit you will also want to purchase a 1 1/2 sanitary T and a glue P-Trap.

4) Install the new assembly exactly in reverse of how you take the existing apart. By using the u-built you eliminate any compression joints ( all joints are glued except where the plastic goes into the new fernco ). This reduces the chances of a joint failure down the road.

* On a personal note I prefer to use the black pipe & fittings ( ABS ) as opposed to the PVC stuff when replacing waste /overflows. ABS glue actually fuses the pipe & fitting together as part of the gluing process. It just helps me sleep better at night.

To replace the existing drum trap I would do the following:
1) Cleanly cut the copper drain line onto which the drum trap drains.

2) Place a full-band 1 1/2 copper by 1 1/2 plastic fernco band on the drain line you removed the trap from.

3) Replace the entire waste & overflow assembly from your tub ( the drain piece at the bottom & the plate that is on the wall of the tub ). Replace the waste/ overflow with either a PVC or an ABS u-built tub drain assembly. In addition to the u-built kit you will also want to purchase a 1 1/2 sanitary T and a glue P-Trap.

4) Install the new assembly exactly in reverse of how you take the existing apart. By using the u-built you eliminate any compression joints ( all joints are glued except where the plastic goes into the new fernco ). This reduces the chances of a joint failure down the road.

Thank you very much for the write up on this - I am not an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous or I would have not pulled my kitchen apart and I don't have the money to hire someone to do something seemingly simple.

I triple check everything so I should be alright... who the heck puts a ceiling back in without checking :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back