rocking toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancestralworm

Oh there will be crying.
Reaction score
I just put down porcelain tile in my bathrooms and now one of my toilets has a very slight rock. Can I use something like a plastic door shim to fix this or is there a better way.

Are the toilet mounting bolts snug? confirm this as well as a bead of caulk around the base of the toilet.

batwr11s.jpg

Are the toilet mounting bolts snug? confirm this as well as a bead of caulk around the base of the toilet.

The are quite snug and I fear if I tighten them any more I will break something. I had to cut the old bolts off with a Dremel and the ones on now are new.

What did you end up doing Ancestral?

I use pennies for shims.

Cheap, abundant, resistant to decay. The plastic ones at the hardware store can be difficult to cut.

What did you end up doing Ancestral?

I took majaks advice. I went to Lowes and picked up a pack of soft plastic toilet shims(who knew). Cut them with a razor knife and jammed them in with a flat head screwdriver. Totally invisible and worked like a charm.

Thanks,
worm

Here's how I set a toilet every time.
I set the toilet in place without the wax seal.
Always install new bolts and secure the bolts to the flange with nuts & washers.
Then put you weight on the bowl and check to see if it rocks.
Some times the flange is to high. You want the bowl to sit firmly on the floor , Not the flange.
Then I place shims until it feels firm.
Old school method was to make copper shims by smashing pieces of copper tubing, or a few copper pennies, but now they have plastic shims that work much better.
Lift up the bowl set you wax ring and reset the bowl.
Other problems such as the flange not secured to the floor and it may flex upward when you tighten the bolts. Shims won't help.

I've been waiting for this exact moment to use it as an avatar!! Glad you approve! :D

Back