How Will The Builder Run Fix this water line issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JN1966

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having a home built in Tampa Fl and when I stopped by to see the slab that was poured I noticed the outdoor hose line was exposed through the footing. The home is 2 story with the lower level being block, the line is 3 inches off from where it should be to be centered in the block. it was my understanding that exterior water pipes are to run in the center of the block due to frost or possible pipe freezing.I have attached a photo. How will the builder fix this problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpg

Freezing is a minor concern in my area, which is Orlando, and even less so in Tampa.

That said, the block masons are likely to be pretty hard on that pipe, which is directly in the way of the outer face of the block.

Thank you phishfood in your opinion what would a fix be?

Chip out a little of the surface of the slab, and offset it back into an open (non poured) cell of the block. The cells surrounding the rebar to the right of the pipe will be poured full of concrete, I would move it out of those areas.

Thank you phishfood, would you suggest that I bring it to the superintendents attention?

Yes.

Some builders are really proactive, and would have already seen this, working on getting it fixed. Others, the superintendent will drive through the neighborhood every couple of days, and that is their supervision. Hopefully you have the former. Either way, it doesn't hurt for you to be proactive.

CPVC piping doesn't need a sleeve that is an exception that is allowed. I still think it should be sleeved with 3/4" pipe to prevent any potential leaks as far as settling goes. But you know code is bare minimum, were as to I go above and beyond that.

CPVC piping doesn't need a sleeve that is an exception that is allowed. I still think it should be sleeved with 3/4" pipe to prevent any potential leaks as far as settling goes. But you know code is bare minimum, were as to I go above and beyond that.

if you do not mind me asking, where is the exception at?

what section?

Thanks Frodo and bhamiltonjr I spoke to the builder they are going to saw cut the block to fit around the pipe and concrete over it so it is a flush finish, then there will be stucco going over the block and concrete, so granted it won't be noticeable, but it has been documented. Thank you to everyone for their help.

Thank you Frodo and bhamiltonjr I met with the builder today they are going to saw cut the block and put the pipe between,cover all exposed pipe with concrete then stucco, they assured me it will not be noticable and my concerns were documented in case of future issues.

I personally don't think saw cutting a block then encasing the supply line in stucco is a professional way of fixing this. If you ever need to fix a leak or do any repair you are going to have to put a hole in your wall now.

A proper fix is to move it the where it is supposed to be. Also right now that is an easy fix. Becomes much harder when there is a house built on it.

Latest posts

Back