The Beer Brewing Thread.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Hey Phish, you will be proud, The other half got me all the ingredients I would need to brew beer for Christmas which forced me to go out and buy the rest of the equipment. Tonight will be beer attempt one.

IMG_20130105_165450.jpg

Freaking awesome!!

What kind of beer will you be making? Can you post a photo of the ingredient list and instructions? I promise to try really hard not to be a back seat brewer.

Pics, we need lots of pics!!

Woooo calm down. A buddy called me and needed help moving something to it got postponed til now. I am doing a little more reading before I start. I guess I got an easier recipe, my other half got it for me for christmas so it will make a good start. It's an extract brew.

6 lbs light dry malt extract
1 lb Light Crystal grain.............Steeped 30 minutes
1 oz Cascade hop pellets add at begining of boil
1/4 oz cascade hop pellets add after 45 minutes
3/4 oz cascade hop pellets add after 60 minutes when heat is off
Nottingham dry ale yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar at bottling

Anything else you need?

On the so stove, already getting crap the sanitizer took the finish off the bronzed drain in my sink.

ForumRunner_20130105_202421.jpg

ForumRunner_20130105_202454.jpg

Ice water in the sink. Next time I will have built a copper cooler. Hopefully I can get it cool quick.

Added more hops, fifteen more minutes and it is time to pull it off.

ForumRunner_20130105_220026.jpg

Now here comes the waiting game. Option 1 bottle and wait two more weeks to drink or option 2 break down and finally buy the kegerator I want for my bar.

If you have a big plastic tub that the carboy will fit in, put 6 inches or so of water in it, and put an old tshirt around the carboy that hangs down into the water. This will help keep the fermentation temps down, which is a good thing.

I don't but I can get one. This recipe calls for between 65-75 and this room with the heat vent closed stays about 65 consistently. By spring I will have to invest in a freezer with a temp control so i don't want to waste to much money on other stuff. Maybe I will check out wally world to see if they have any cheap tubs it will fit in.

Even with the room temp at 65, I can guarantee that the fermentation temp will get up near 80. I ferment in a blanket insulated tub with ice bottles to keep the bath water temp down. During heavy fermentation, the water can be 62 or 63, and the fermentation temp can be 68 or so. Considering that water is a lot better at transferring heat than air is......

Latest posts

Back