How do I get this drain apart?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teslaspark

Reaction score
These are two pictures of a bathroom under sink drain with the trap and all other hardware removed. I am replacing the drain and trap with new pvc stuff. I run into an obstacle with the existing old drain where it goes into the wall piping. It looks like there is some threaded adapter in the pipe, but the the chrome drain pipe is in there good. Attempted to loosen actual 45 degree drain pipe or threaded nipple below it, but no room to get a big enough pipe wrench in there to do so. Any suggestions?

Heat? Any special gizmo? Penetrating oil? What would a Pro do?

Thanx!

20140606_155923[1].jpg

20140606_160001[1].jpg

Last edited:
What you have is a solder bushing. Cut the trap off flush with the solder bushing. Then using a hacksaw blade make two cuts on the inside of the solder bushing 1/2" apart. Just through the solder bushing without cutting into the threads inside the 45. Then using a small screwdriver pick out the 1/2" section. With that section removed the rest of the bushing will pick out.

Thanks for the reply John! You are a genius in my book. It is and removal worked exactly as you described. Took almost 15 minutes and I've now got clean 1-1/2 inch pipe threads with which to work. This is probably a lesson I'll use again. Your boss owes you a raise!

Thanks for the reply John! You are a genius in my book. It is and removal worked exactly as you described. Took almost 15 minutes and I've now got clean 1-1/2 inch pipe threads with which to work. This is probably a lesson I'll use again. Your boss owes you a raise!
LOL, that gave me a chuckle!
For two reasons. First, John is retired from running his own plumbing company. Second, because back in the earliest days of this forum, when I didn't have nearly as much service plumbing experience, I believe it was a post of John's that taught me how to perform this type of repair.

John is one of many here, who spends countless hours volunteering here in order to answer our questions and to help make our lives easier. I speak for many of us here that we appreciate John and the other expert's input here. Not only will I provide him and others a virtual beer or two, I will also double his pay here! ;)

Thanks guys. I appreciate your kind words. It's a two way street. Being out of the business this site also helps to keep me up to date on some of the newer things in the trade.

John, you should check out the new technology of ungluing PVC, CPVC, and ABS joints using new products called pipe debonders. See it at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. It is pretty exciting to unglue 12 inch, schedule 80 pipe, removing the 10 pound broken piece in 20 minutes.

You appear to be trying to sell the product. May I suggest you take a 2nd look at the post. The problem is not with PVC,ABS or CPVC pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back