Toilet and Shower Faucet Stop Working in Cold Weather

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumbo

Reaction score
Hello,

My toilet and shower faucet seem to stop working when temperatures get very cold (~30+ degs F below freezing). My bathroom sink and kitchen sink both seem to work and I can get hot water to flow through them so it doesn't seem to be a frozen pipes issue. I can also get water to trickle out of the shower faucet. Last time this happened it seemed to fix itself after a day or two without leaks.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Extra background information in case it matters:
I live in the basement unit of a house and the other faucets and toilets seem to work fine, though I haven't tried them all. Could this be an issue with pressure in the lines? I left the shower faucet trickling for about an hour today and when i checked it water seemed to be flowing normally so I shut it off, then I tried to flush the toilet and nothing happened. I tried the shower faucet again and it was back to trickling.

Thanks,

Mumbo

I'll second that, definitely sounds like some poorly insulated walls the pipes that are freezing or very near. Could get real ugly if they fully freeze and crack.

Latest posts

Back