Water softener on septic system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradyman1

jeepin
Reaction score
Will the discharge from a water softener cause problems on a septic system? I am talking about the backflow from the water softener when it does a cleaning cycle. I have a new low pressure drip systems, and it was leaking, bad. The plumbing inspector told me to take that off, I did and several months later it dried up. I also ran a permanent drain from my old septic field, the 10" corrogated sock pipe to daylight because I was getting a lot of surface water at the bottom of my old field. 1000's of gallons must have ran from that pipe. It is always wet where I drained it to. Before I did it the engineer told me to run a "down slope interceptor" drain in the same location. He told me the water table was to high. Does any of this sound feasable? I know running the old drain field to daylight really dried out the bottom of my yard!

All the softener systems I have seen discharge elsewhere, not in the septic tank. I always assumed that the discharge water had elements that could kill the bacteria that makes the septic system work. I could be wrong though.

The oxygen getting to the old system through your drain pipe will renew it in about 15 years like you never used it.
Code probably requires everthing to go to the septic system but Oh Well... I've though about using the softener discharge to de-ice the driveway. Seems like it would work.
Dennis..... DennisHoover.com

softener discharge will in no way effect the septic tank. Many many studies back that up.

The inspector said it was the salt in the discharge that would cause the leach field to not work properly. There are studies that show this to be not true? It wouldn't be the first time an inspector was wrong.

The inspector said it was the salt in the discharge that would cause the leach field to not work properly. There are studies that show this to be not true? It wouldn't be the first time an inspector was wrong.

You would have to pump a huge amount of salt into that field to do any real damage. I doubt your water softener is putting enough through to do any real damage.

Back