Unlacquered brass

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilla

Reaction score
Hello :) Newbie here. I am building a brand new, 300-year olde English country-informed house and think I want unlacquered plumbing fixtures that will go verdigris over time. Does anyone know of a line that would meet all my needs -- kitchen, bath, shower, powder room -- and where unlacquered is a consistent option? Truth to tell I am feeling utterly overwhelmed by the number of manufacturers out there, much less with their myriad options.

Thanks much.

I'll be honest, purchasing an unlacquered fixture is going to cause you problems after awhile. The green oxidation will stain your counters and your hands as well. It doesn't petina the same color, so it will look very uneven.

If you do decide on unlacquered fixtures, I would just purchase a good quality brass fixture, and have then dipped to remove the lacquer. Most major brands still carry 100% brass or heavy brass plated fixtures.

Another idea is to purchase rebuilt antique fixtures. This way, they will function as new pieces, but will have the "Turn of the Century" feeling to them.

Since I live in the L.A. Cal. area, the only place I know who would have them is Cleveland Dismantling and Wrecking, located in L.A., Cal.

Thank you, Havasu, for this information. Perhaps I'd do well to rethink. I was envisioning a rough, faded gold color eventually, replete of bits of teal here and there. To be sure, the recognition that I wouldn't have to obsess about cleaning and polishing the fixtures all the time was equally attractive. ;)

If you are building a new "300 year old look" home, please don't let me dissuade you from the look you desire. Keep searching, and I am certain you will locate exactly what you are looking for. Also, there are many good plumbers here on this site who should chime in shortly and give you some more ideas.

Thank you for the encouragement. I had indeed thought to look further and meanwhile will hope to hear from others, as you suggest. .

Latest posts

Back