Water Hammer Arresters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcintoshmc

Reaction score
I will be repiping the house from galvanized to copper. Do people install these arresters if they experience water hammer, or a head of time as a preventative measure? If so, where should I put them as a preventative measure?

Also, I've read that they should be large than the supply line. Now am I teeing off the riser, or off the actual supply line?

image-2047504809.jpg

You can use a laundry box & Ice maker box with the arrestor as part of the valves. Also install arrestor under kitchen sink for dishwasher. When plumbing to other fixtures (tub/shower valves, faucets, toilets) tee off risers with air chambers ( chambers 12'' -- 18'' long).

These are usually only needed where a solenoid valve is located. Examples are dishwashers, washing machines and ice makers.

The photo showed one that can be fastened to a washing machine bib

So, in my case I would only need one on the hot/cold washer, cold for dishwasher, and one for the spigot in the backyard used for my sprinklers. Are they supposed to be same size of pipe or 1 size bigger. I read they should be bigger. Meaning 3/4 arrester on 1/2 line?

I also read those air chamber weren't good because I would constantly have to drain after the pipe fills up with water. Is that accurate?

You shouldn't have any problems with air chambers

You need arrestor at the laundry, fridge, and hot water to dishwasher. sprinklers usually do not slam off

In my area that aren't allowed to be used, but depends on codes in your area. We are required to use hammer arresters and not the air chambers. Technically speaking if you drained your system every once in a while (maybe yearly) I think air chambers would work, but I'm not certain on the air chambers.

You can also use these for the washer,ice maker & dishwasher
1st = washer
2nd = ice maker
3rd = dishwasher

1.jpg

2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I just looked at the ox box from Sioux chief. I am seriously going to try and find these things before Saturday

Latest posts

Back