What size main line to use

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewhitaker0020

Reaction score
Hello I recently had my water meter replaced and was told that my old galvanized steel pipe going from the meter to my house will need to be replaced. It started leaking at the end they were working on. They cut off a section of it and repaired the leak but showed me the cut off section and it is very corroded inside and not much water is getting through. I'm assuming this would be the main reason I have low water pressure inside my home.

Now, my house is around 45-50 feet from the meter and I have a total of:
2 showers
2 toilets
2 bath sinks
1 kitchen sink
1 washer
2 outside hose spigots
And will be putting in a dishwasher eventually.

What size main line should I put in? I have no idea what the pressure is at the meter and don't know how to check it. My yard is also flat so there's no hill for the line to travel up. I plan on using pex for the line.
Thank you

So if I buy 1" pvc it's referring to ID and if I buy 1" pex it's referring to OD? That is very confusing to people who are just starting to learn about plumbing

What are your guys thought of PE as supply?

I understand PVC/CPVC not having as many internal flow restriction's as would PEX (with associated fittings) (or PE with its' fittings for that matter).

My work is 100% on the public side of the meter and PE is not even considered as a candidate so if a district won't put it in the ground I will also steer clear.

Latest posts

Back