New Product to Market - Looking for Input

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HENS

Reaction score
Thank you for your willingness to help me out with some input :). I have been asked by a plumber to do some research and come up with a product that functions in a very specific way... so I did. I am looking to get people's input before I jump in and spend a lot of money on this :eek:.

Here is where the product is at:

I am calling it the "Home Early Notification System (HENS)".

The purpose of the system is to allow owners of the product to set up various sensors throughout their home that will notify them when a sensor is triggered (including home power loss).

Initially we are only working with a water detection sensor (smoke alarm, and panic button would come shortly thereafter).

The water detection sensor can be set up inside of a sump pump well, underneath and or above a water heater, under a freezer, or even on the floor of a basement that might allow for the pooling of water in specific locations (and or flooding in general). When water is detected (water levels can be as low as 1/16th of an inch), the sensor sends a message to the base unit, which sends a text message, and or phone call to pre-set phone numbers (more than one person can receive the text or phone call). Additionally, a siren can be set to go off when any sensor is triggered.

Each sensor can be named, so that the owner would be notified that a specific sensor type was set off and which one it was: “sump pump water high” or “water heater leaking”.

The base station has a power adapter to be plugged into a normal 110V AC power outlet, but it also has an internal backup battery. If the power goes out, the base unit will switch to battery power, and send a text (or phone call) to the owner stating that its power source has failed (ie the house lost power, the power adapter no longer works and needs to be replaced, the circuit breaker blew).

All hardware would come with a 2 year warranty.

Hardware costs (to the end user) would be between $150 and $200, and includes the base unit, and two water detection sensors. Additional sensors would be available but sold separately (additional water sensors would be about $25).

There would also be a yearly service charge to cover the data communication via cell towers (this is how it sends text messages and places phone calls) and is looking like it would be $47.88/year for a system with up to 10 sensors. For systems with 10-30 sensors, the yearly service fee would be $95.88.

Questions for you:
1) What other sensors would you be interested in?
2) What other functionality would you want?
3) Are the above price points acceptable to you? ie would you pay that? If not, why?
4) Is the warranty long enough that you would trust the quality of the hardware and service?
5) What concerns might you have?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Sounds just like a security system to me. All you are missing is notifying the police, but if you were alerted personally, you could make the judgement call whether you want police/fire/ambulance to respond. Since I'm paying ~$59 a month for ADT, where do I sign up?

Sounds just like a security system to me. All you are missing is notifying the police, but if you were alerted personally, you could make the judgement call whether you want police/fire/ambulance to respond. Since I'm paying ~$59 a month for ADT, where do I sign up?
Funny you should say that, alarm sensors are being planned for release later on... we really just wanted to focus on water detection to get started, work out the kinks in the system etc...

Your response wasn't what I was expecting, but if you are serious about it, PM me and we can get you set up as a product Beta tester. Same pricing, but has a few extra perks for down the road.

Thank you for responding!

Unfortunately, I just signed a 2 year contract with ADT.

Worth putting it out is a notification text when someone enters your (gun) safe, a locked private door, a side yard, a family member's residence with dementia, a pool fence, a hunting cabin, a vacation home, etc. The ideas are endless...I believe you may be on to something big!

We service several properties that use small moisture alarms that sit on the floor. They have 4 needle legs and operate off a 9 volt battery. when 2 of the needles detect moisture the alarm sounds off like a smoke alarm. someone has to hear it though. I have had to respond to one that was giving off a weak battery warning a few times.

Getting a text alert seems like a good idea. Just don't send it to me. :)

I have a 83 year old grand pa that sits on the porch every day.
NOTHING happens that he cant give you full and detailed report on.
including when I come and go.
what I say, LOL, how I say it. and to who.
Been trying to figure out how to turn this great security system off
A mouse cant get within 50 yards of this place with out someone knowing it.
AND...someone, done gave him a cell phone, taught him how to use speed dial:rolleyes:
so I get reports when cars pass by now

Is this the new Leak Defender?
No, this is not the leak defender. This does not fix/stop leaks, it is a notification system so that you would be told, via text or phone call, of leaks and other pending water caused damage before it gets bad (including power outage).

One of the main differences between this system and others out there that are "like it", is that this doesn't just have an alarm. It actually texts and or calls you using cell towers and without the cost of having an unlimited cellular data plan @ $45/month... it would just be $3.99/month (paid annually) for up to 10 sensors.

Last edited:
Ok, your pitch just sounded a lot like the owner of Leak Defender when he started out.

Good luck, sounds like your on to something.

Back