No hot water out of my bathroom tap. Why, oh, why?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susan

Reaction score
No hot water whatsoever is coming out of the bathroom tap. This is the only tap in the house that is affected. Because we have relatively hard water, and the flexible line running from the shut off valve under the sink to the faucet has one of those flood safe connectors, I thought it was very likely the line was plugged with sediment. I removed the line, and sure enough, it was plugged. Yea! Jubilation! Problem solved! So I unplugged the fitting and line, even soaked it in a solution of CLR. After I reattached it to the water line, I opened up the valve to determine if water would flow through the line or if the problem might be elsewhere. No issues, water flowed at a steady even rate. A triumph. I was even going to have enough daylight for some garden clean up. I reattached the line to the faucet (it has separate hot/cold handles, but a single spout). Opened up the water line, turned the handle, and.....nada. Despair. Must be in the faucet - so I commenced to take that off of the flexible lines, and ran water through that. Ran it did. For good measure I soaked that in CLR, too. Reassembled the whole thing with very little optimism at this point. Turned the handle. Nothing. Absolute bafflement. Here's a possible clue: when the handle is turned, the pipe in the basement makes a "thunk". This is a well constructed mid century home, and the faucet in question is only a couple years old and of a good quality. Help! My frustration is all consuming.

You appear to have deep seated sediment in your faucet. I'd recommend you start taking it apart, starting with the screen aerator, which is usually where the sediment collects. Once it is cleared up, then you need to either consider a filter or repiping, whatever is needed.

How did you run water through the faucet with it unhooked from the supply lines?
Did you remove the hot side cartridge from the faucet and check it for sediment deposits?

I failed mention that I completely cleaned the aerator - cold water flows unimpeded. I maybe wasn't also clear that I removed the entire faucet from the sink, which is why I was able to run water through the threaded pipes at the base. I flipped it over, and with the cold water handle closed and hot open, I poured water through the bottom. It came out of spout without any problem. I don't this the faucet is the issue. I'm not sure what you mean by removing the hot cartridge, though. Could you elaborate? The following link has an image of the faucet I have.

http://www.plumbingwarehouse.com/american-standard-bathroom-faucet-hamilton-7024.html

I agree with john The flood safety supply is probably causing the thunk you hear as it closes off the supply.

Sucess! I abandoned the flood safety supply, and replaced it with a standard supply. I may no longer be safe from floods (but who really is?), but at least we'll have warm water to wash our hands. Thanks for all your input - heroes all of you. I really appreciate this forum; look for further queries from me regarding confounding plumbing puzzles. I still have two unsolved on the docket, but I'm putting away my wrenches and enjoying the weekend.

Latest posts

Back