Inlet Septic Drain help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemo1a

Reaction score
I am building a modular on a site that has a working septic. In the process of determining placement of the modular in comparison to the septic I was never advised I would have an issue. I know believe I may have issues and looking for help. House is north to south. Septic is on the east side facing north to south. Bathrooms and kitchen are on the south end. Plan on pluming running to northeast corner and then running out to septic. To make the turn into septic it will be roughly 4-5 22.5 turns separated at about 5 feet of pipe into septic. 4 inch pipe will be used outside of house. Any ideas of doing this better.

I'm trying to visualize all of that, but perhaps a rough sketch might help.

Even with that 100% clear explanation....if you can get proper slope, give'er hell. And make sure your tank/field is within your areas code distance away from your water source

Is this septic tank already installed?

If not, with the plumbing is on the south end, I would think it would be easier to run things east and then in to the tank on the south end (depending on distance as well as the size and precise location of the tank- if its not too much farther to the north then it would be fine).

Edit: It also depends on where you want to put your field lines.

I think the distance of the pipes to the inlet would matter for getting slope-- as well as amount and cost of materials. The pipes will have to slope downward at 1/4inch per foot. So you will need to figure out how many feet in are being spanned and remember it drops an inch every 4 feet. So in 20 feet it would need to drop 5 inches. Also keep in mind that (at least in my area) the septic tank needs to be at least 10 feet from the side of the house and I believe at least 50 feet from any well providing water. Then there are the field lines to consider. There is a thread that lists which states use which plumbing codes so you can look up the code for your particular area-- of course, you will also need to contact your local Department of Health to make sure there aren't any local differences from state level. I'm trying to think.. I believe my state's code said that field lines had to be at least 20 feet away from the edge of the property so that areas outside would not be contaminated. Each field line can be no longer than 100 feet and can't slope more than one foot over its span.

You might want to consider playing with the trial version of Google Sketchup 2014. It lets you put in pretty much fairly precise measurements and you could build a 3D model of your plans.

If I'm missing something, then I apologize. I'm a visual person so I work better with looking at pictures to help me "see" things.

Last edited:
He said he's using 4" outside the house. If his building drain is 4" as well it can be run at 1/8" per foot if grade is an issue. Sounds like he has a bit of a run to make.

Oops. I didn't remember that it was 1/8" for 4" thickness. I wonder if that differs by state or between UPC and IPC..

Back