Moving an inside water meter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uniquenamehere

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to be building a basement bathroom and we have a water meter in the exact spot that I want to build the shower. I would imagine this is something I have to contact the city about, but I can't find anything specific to it via their website.

Anyone have any experience with this in the City of Toronto?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

How do they read the meter. Is it a new smart meter that gets read electronicly?
You might want to check your water bill and call the water utility that provides the water. The meter usually belongs to them unless it's a submeter.
Some developed properties have a main water meter and submeters for the each individual unit on the property. Find out who the meter belongs to and go from there.

Thanks for the reply Mr David.

We have a small device attached to the wall outside that gets read. The meter on the inside looks very old but still had power running to it (house was built in 1952). Based on our climate in Canada I believe the meters were originally installed (and read) inside to keep from freezing.

I was hoping to find someone who's walked through already without calling the city; They're about as painful as a root canal to deal with.

Latest posts

Back