Compression fitting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barquito

Reaction score
This may be a little outside the scope of this forum:

I need to fit a ferrule on the end of my aluminum air supply pipe for my air compressor. Assuming I find the right size (aluminium OD is a little bigger than copper), do I need to crimp the ferrule on the pipe, or does the nut just compress the ferrule like on water pipes?

If its a soft Aluminium pipe like car break lines, then as long as the olive on the pipe slips on hand tight and not lose then by tighting the nut it will compress the olive into the joint. That's why it called a compression fitting.

Tubing comes in a large varity of sizes and types
Are you repairing like for like or are you modifing/changing something.
Some tubing is not always standard size. They are sized differenty so you have to use the right type of tube and fittings for the application.

Are you serious? They use aluminum tube for brake lines in the UK.
Hey, that is better than sticking your feet throught the rusted-out floor board, like in the Flinstones!

I am probably just going to McGyver together whatever works, finish nailing my wood floor with this pile of crap compressor, then throw it off of a very tall buidling.

My 25 gallon Craftsman compressor has aluminum fittings from the pump to the gauges, but both ends have flared couplings, which can be rebuilt easily with a flaring tool.

Latest posts

Back