Back Yard Drainage Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djibouti33

Reaction score
Hello,

Our backyard floods every year and I'm trying to do something about it before this years' rains begin.

There is an existing drain in the low end of the back yard, and I just finished digging up the corrugated pipe that basically extended about 20 feet before just stopping. It was full of dirt and roots, which I assume to be the cause of our back yard filling up. About 1ft below the surface is hard clay, so I don't think laying another pipe for the ground to absorb the water is a good idea.

My solution is to continue the trench (that held the old pipe) into the front yard, all the way to the sidewalk, where the water will spill out on the sidewalk, into the street, and be taken away.

The problem I'm having is that the back yard is a little lower than the front yard, so by the time I dig the trench with a 1% grade, the end of my drain will be 1-2 feet below the surface of the sidewalk.

How do I get the water coming out of the pipe, 2 feet below the surface, up to surface level so it can bubble out? If I just attach an elbow or 90 degree joint at the end and attach 2 feet of pipe going straight up, I assume that will cause back up. Are there any products or solutions you can think of that will allow me to overcome my grading issues?

Thanks!

Kevin

Unless the backyard is higher than the sidewalk, the water won't drain through the piping arrangement that you describe.

Also, in some states there are laws regarding what you can do with storm drainage. I don't know whether or not what you want to do would violate what laws California might have, but it might be wise to check.

Latest posts

Back