Black Pipe fitting help?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabosler

Reaction score
I need some help finding a few specific piece / fitting. This piece is a black plastic 3/4" threaded on one side and hollow all the way through. The opposite side of the threaded side is 1/4" opening. I need it to be a piece just like this that will screw into a black iron fitting, which this piece will. I need to be able to screw in piece from either side of the piece, meaning screw into a black iron fitting from the threaded sided of this piece or slide the narrow side in first through the black iron fitting and then screw in piece to iron fitting. I attached pics to help explain what I am talking about. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Photo Aug 14, 12 27 55 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 14, 12 27 01 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 14, 12 29 39 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 14, 12 29 22 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Give us a better idea of what you are using it for or what you are trying to accomplish.

I figured it out that it is an irrigation male adapter 3/4" by 1/2" barb (barb cut off). I have tried about 6 different ones and not having any luck.

I am building a pipe lamp.

the small fitting ( shinny one ) is threaded tube that is typical in lamp construction I will presume. use a washer inside the bell reducer fitting and a nut that fits on the threaded tube under the washer and one on the outside. the same way the would secure it to any lamp fixture

Would a 3/4"X1/4" bushing work or is the thread pattern on the 1/4" wrong?

bushing.jpg

Curious so I did a little hunting. Most lamp sockets have a 1/8 " IP fitting to attach to a 1/8" IP lamp pipe.
The pipe fitting you are using are NPT. NPT are tapered. IP are not tapered. not sure but I think the thread pitch maybe different between the 2.

you can use some Epoxy putty to secure the tube inside the pipe fitting as well, but a couple washers and nuts should work just fine.

I purchased one from someone online and there is no epoxy. Without knowing anything about plumbing or irrigation supplies I have figured out what the fittings are, I THINK. Yes the silver piece is lamp thread, but that is not as important.

Basically the male irrigation adapter, the black piece with the barb side cut off screws into the black iron pipe with the side that has the hex nut shape on it. Basically it threads from the side that is not really meant to thread. Then on the other end he attaches a female mender to the other end of the thread.

So I am down to finding a piece that will screw in from both ends, but is reduce on one side on the inside. The reason the inside needs to be smaller than the 3/4" thread is to recess a small rotary switch in side the thread (that is what the pipe thread is for to attach the rotary switch to. I know this sounds confusing,but this is what I need. I have tried about 6-7 irrigation male to barb adapters with only one kinda of working, I have asked the guy I purchased from but he will not tell me the piece. I understand that I suppose.

Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back