Best Drain Cleaner

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally have never seen a chemical drain cleaner work. My choice is plunger, snake and plumber, in that order.

Reactions: SHR
If I ever "had" to use a drain cleaner, it would be an enzyme type, such as Drain-care by Zep. Enzyme cleaners cling to and "eat" organic clogs. Caustic cleaners eat a small hole and proceed down the piping, leaving a starting spot for the next clog. I charged extra for doing work on drain systems that had caustic cleaners used in it. This was due to extra cleaning of my tools and the chance of getting chemical burns while working on them.

best thing todo is power rod or jet rod then enzyme type drain maintenance. i dont know if there is any diff between them, we sell bio-clean to our customers.

If pipes are new and clean, is it beneficial, harmful, or just a waste to use an enzyme cleaner a couple of times a year to clean out soap scum and hair (in a shower)?

For food waste from a garbage disposal or hair from shower drains, I've had good luck with sulfuric acid

Last edited by a moderator:
For food waste from a garbage disposal or hair from shower drains, I've had good luck with sulfuric acid

Maybe in Islamabad, Pakistan, where you reside this is OK, but we here in the United States try to keep our plumbing in better shape.

Yeah there's a plunger is only good for the length of the trap arm. Once the air gets to the vent its useless because pressure equalizes. But plungers on their own can work. I'd rather just auger it and use some enzymes occasionally to keep it clean

If you have kids in your house prefer using use Eco friendly Drain cleaners:
Mix together equal parts of salt, baking soda, and vinegar and pour it down your clogged drain. Wait about an hour, then pour hot water down the drain.

air plunger (Home engineered) hook it up to the air compressor and put it over the drain and open the valve.

they sell blow bags at home improvement stores that do the same thing but with water
I DO use them when clearing a urinal trap clogg ( when Im too lazy to pull the urinal off the wall and a urinal snake wont work

Dangerous stuff!!!!! nothing more and nothing less.........COMMON SENSE ........ ????? SULFURIC ACID -FOOLISH!

Latest posts

Back