Well pressure tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbb

Reaction score
Hi-- New guy here. I need to pick your brains for a problem I may have. My underground pressure tank is junk and I'm going to purchase an Well X troll WX-350 to replace it. The existing tank is the very old (1960) galvanized model and probably does not have a bladder or diaphragm. The inlet pipe from the well pump is 1-1/4" and tank outlet is also 1-1/4". After the pipe exits the underground well house the 1-1/4" pipe is reduced to 3/4" copper pipe which runs for 150' to the inside of the house. I am moving new tank indoors. I have already tak'n care of the electrical but being that the tank will now be in the house I am concerned about pipe sizing. What I will have is 3/4" copper pipe attaching to the new well pressure tank instead of the 1-1/4" the old tank had outside in the well house. Can I use the existing 3/4" pipe in the house to attach to the new tank which has a 1-1/4" fitting. Will the well pump work harder filling the tank thru a 3/4" line? Before the tank was receiving water thru a 1-1/4" line and now will be only 3'4" Anyone see a problem here? Thanks for your help. I'm sure you will have questions.

The first thing you would have to do is move the pressure switch so it's close to the new tank. If you leave it at the pump house, the pump will hammer on and off rapidly because of the friction in that long 3/4" pipe.

The pump won't work any harder, it will just take longer to fill the tank. If it's a submersible pump, it will just pressure up higher while trying to push water to the tank. If you have a jet pump, it probably won't matter much.

The first thing you would have to do is move the pressure switch so it's close to the new tank. If you leave it at the pump house, the pump will hammer on and off rapidly because of the friction in that long 3/4" pipe.

The pump won't work any harder, it will just take longer to fill the tank. If it's a submersible pump, it will just pressure up higher while trying to push water to the tank. If you have a jet pump, it probably won't matter much.

Thanks Speedbump. The pump is a submersible style pump. I have run the wiring to the well house already and will have the pressure switch attached to the new tank inside the house. Appreciate your response. Quick question--Do you think a buffer tank installed in the well house with the 1-1/4" fittings would help with the pump running less? I would also have the 119 gallon tank in the house.

And before you purchase that big pressure tank, you might want to look at these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrJ9AAe7GM

Valveman--thanks for the video. I have considered this style valve attached to a large tank. I see where the well water bypasses the tank when watering the lawn etc or when heavy usage of water is employed. Without the large tank, does the well pump run longer and cycle much more frequently? Are there any drawbacks when using this valve? Thanks again.

Do you think a buffer tank installed in the well house with the 1-1/4" fittings would help with the pump running less? I would also have the 119 gallon tank in the house.

Even though I do advocate using constant pressure valves, I also say, the bigger the tank the better. The less cycles the pump motor has the longer is will last.

Even though I do advocate using constant pressure valves, I also say, the bigger the tank the better. The less cycles the pump motor has the longer is will last.

I'm considering the Amtrol WX-350. Expensive but built better than Home Depot model I guess. Even though it's rated for 119 gallons, it only holds a little over 30 gallons because of the diaphragm.

How much it holds depends on your pressure switch settings. It varies between 32 and 43 gallons between 20/40 and 40/60 settings. The Well X Trol is by far superior to anything big box stores have. Well X Trol is making a tank just for the big box stores. I just wonder how they got it down to their standards.

Back