How should i run the pipes?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cts001

Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to be adding a bathroom to a building behind my house. It has a crawl space but I can't quite figure out the best way to run the drain pipe and water lines through the yard to the existing drain pipe and water pipes used for the house. I have included a diagram for better understanding. Can someone please advise the proper turns to prevent clogs and also how far should the water pipes be from the drain pipe (if any)? Thank you

Steve

14336414777861790262127.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I have added a new picture with more detailed info on the septic system. I'm not sure how close the leech lines are to the building but the are somewhere close. Based on the new info does this change the strategy?

1433686816602.jpg

Last edited:
the deciding factor is,,

from finish floor

debth of sewer invert at septic tank

and,

debth of invert on proposed pipe from building

and
determined length footage from building to tie in at sepitc tank

and

debth of leach field piping,,where you will cross

all those numbers are important before you dig

1433686816602.jpg

The length according to your diagram is approximately 25-30' down and 10' to the right to reach the pipe entering the septic tank. The depth of the septic tank pipe is approximately 20-30" below the ground of the buildings crawl space. Since the turn into the septic tank pipe is so sharp what kind of fittings would I need to connect to the pipe at the septic tank?

Thanks for the info. Can the water and sewer line be in the the same trench?

Under IPC, the water service and sewer line need to be separated, unless the water line is at least 12" above the sewer line, and on a shelf excavated on the side of the sewer trench. Just keep them several feet apart, and be done with it.

Also under IPC, 3" and larger pipe only require 1/8" per foot of fall.

Water pipe should be at least 12" above the drain pipe, and on a shelf excavated on the side of the drain trench. Keep them several feet apart, and be done with it.

Is the pipe ultimately running to left or right of the septic and if it's to the left do you think I'll have any clogging issues? Also is it possible to run the pipe between the septic and distribution box if there's enough room and it's deep enough? Thanks.

Is the pipe ultimately running to left or right of the septic and if it's to the left do you think I'll have any clogging issues? Also is it possible to run the pipe between the septic and distribution box if there's enough room and it's deep enough? Thanks.

if you provide cleanouts where indicated you will be fine.

you should not have clog issues if pipe is run with correct fall
on a properly prepared bed of dirt and bedded in.

you can run the pipe between tank and box, provided you hand dig around existing pipes

i drew it to run to the left of tank,,away from the leech field

I have include a new drawing with more updated info. After doing some digging I found that the line coming out of the house is nearly straight vs being angled which the septic permit showed. I'd like to get the sewer pipe on the right side if possible. Based on this new drawing could I run the sewer line in between the septic and distribution box if there enough room and it's deep enough. After digging and seeing the pipes I'm a little worried about the that uturn if I run it on the left side. Thanks

1433853160460.jpg

Could you please explain a properly prepared bed of dirt. Also thank you very much for your help!

trench dug out with not any over digging, pipe sitting on undisturbed packed soil

IF,,,over digging has occurred...sand is used as bedding...

covered 12'' with sand, then back filled and tamped to 100% compaction at 6'' lifts

stay away from the leach field

Latest posts

Back