Learning plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtC2

Reaction score
Greetings. I'd like to learn general residential plumbing, but not looking to be a plumber per se. How did you learn? By taking a class, just by doing, books? Thanks in advance.

Well, im not real sure. I'm not a homeowner yet, only 18.

Maybe just pick one thing at a time, like toilets and sinks.

Are you interested in Plumbing as a future trade? What are you doing now? Anyway, I started remodeling when I was about 18 and always watched the plumbers and electricians on the job. Its amazing what you can learn by watching and asking questions. Without much info on you, I'd say start with the toilet. Try putting on a new wax ring, or adjusting the amount of water in the tank. Then upgrade to a torch and some solder. You can get alot of info from youtube as well. I know some larger plumbing companies offer weekend classes. Plumbing is a good trade - best of luck to you.

Jeremia

You can find many Home Repair books, many related directly to Plumbing, at the library. Try to find some with pictures and diagrams until you learn the "language". Fear of the unknown is the biggest reason people don't do plumbing repairs themselves. Once you learn the basics, repairs can usually be done on your own. It isn't rocket science and not really difficult unless you plan on building from the ground up. Be aware that there are Codes to be followed.

Thanks. I'm not really looking at plumbing as a future career for myself, more so for home maintenance and what not. As for what im doing now, I go to a Community college hoping to transfer into UCF's Environmental engineering program. Also work part time at a movie theater.

good to here from someone doing something positive with there life. i tell all the guys that help me out that anything they learn from me will be usefull in the future. how about being a plumbers helper. maybe you could get between 8-12 dollars per hour.good luck.

Yeah, but in our area (mine and XtC2's) just about no one is hiring in construction or service.The company that I work for has shrunk to a very small fraction of our former size, and we still have trouble keeping everyone busy. Maybe in a couple of years.......

Latest posts

Back