Can PEX be used between holding tank and jet pump?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
I recently found that a joint on the pipe coming out of my cistern/holding tank was leaking. Every once in awhile the pipes come loose because of the vibrations of the pump. It was a huge mess but we got it fixed for now. It got me wondering if its possible to use PEX for that application in the future.

The pipe coming out of the cistern is 3/4". The old setup was it had a 3/4 to 1" elbow and then a 1" elbow that led to a 1" pipe that went to a coupling that went from 1" to 1 1/2" or 2" (I didn't measure-- think it was the former).

Would I be able to replace the run coming out of the cistern with PEX and then somehow put it on a coupling/adapter that would expand the size? (Is it even allowed to expand the size the way it was done?) The current setup is very awkward.

I think the guy who fixed it made the it all 3/4" up to the adapter that went to 1 1/2". It just needs to expand to hook to the pump. I think the line that comes out of the pump is 3/4", so I'm not sure why its set up that way-- unless it should be the same size coming out of the cistern.

Right now the line coming out of the cistern has a ton of joints from past repairs and its just ugly.

If it can be done, how would you recommend doing it? Would PEX be a bad idea? It would be inside a small building and I can wrap it in something to protect if if need be.

Here is a general sketch of the setup-- it does not show the convoluted run of the pipe out of the pump to the pressure tank or other things in the pump-house.
tumblr_nw0vazncw01qkwd9ao1_400.png

I do storage systems with 1" PVC or well pipe with nylon fittings feeding the jet pump. Just something about the thin brass pex fittings with well water could be a big mess should one spring a leak years down the road. I can't see any technical reason why pex wouldn't work, I just treat the tank like a well when I install them.

I don't know a thing about pex; never used it. PVC works for me.

Are you talking about the discharge of the pump or the suction of the pump? I don't know how ridgid pex is, but some pipes will collapse under vacuum if used on the suction side of the pump. Your picture indicates suction.

Sorry I'm late in responding.
Thank you very much for the responses.

Frodo, I will have to see if they make the hose in the right sizes-- or should I just go with an adapters that will let that tubing fit? What size braided tubing would you recommend?

something like this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068SZLB6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I will have to get pictures eventually and see if I can figure out the exact sizes of the fittings. I think I can use the braided tubing out of the pump to the pressure tank.

The anti-vibration mat would be a good idea. I don't suppose I could use a generic foam/rubber pad?
Although, I did find this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IA0WPI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The good news is, since the leak has been fixed we haven't had the water spurting issue with the hot water. So I think it was letting air in that was building up in the water heater.

Now I just need to fix my stupid front gate so it will open and shut properly to keep my cows in and the trespassers out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back