Wanted - Thermal Exp Tank Pro

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafjr64

Reaction score
Is there any reason I cannot use a thermal expansion tank as a well pressure tank? Major company offers a diaphragm pressure tank for $1200 and also offers a diaphragm thermal expansion tank that is half the cost. Both are made identical.

Also, what is max acceptance factor with regard to pressure tanks?

If your talking about using a water heater type expansion tank for a well, it's too small unless your using a constant pressure valve. And even then it's too small in my opinion. Other than that there is no difference that I'm aware of other than some tanks may for whatever reason not be able to handle hot water.

I don't know whare your getting that pricing, but it's out of site compared to what I sell bladder tanks for.

well tank is 119ga Well-X-Trol (7yr waranty) $1000
exp tank is 86ga Therm-X-Trol (1yr warranty) $679
Same construction
warranty difference has me thinking the inside of the tank (the steel) may be treated differently OR..the heating industry and application as an exp tank is harder on the tank than well water.
Both diaphragms are butyl
Both stainless fittings

What's your guess?

My guess is Well X Trol is whacking Plumbers for the same tank they sell Pump guys for much less. Butyl is butyl!

Water doesn't touch metal inside a good bladder tank, so the metal being treated differently wouldn't matter. Well X Trol is a very good tank as is Zilmet. I sell the Zilmet tank that is comparable to the largest Well X Trol (119 gal) for $723.00. I have one larger that sells for $888.00. Problem is you would have to pick them up at my place because of the shipping costs.

Why do you want such a large tank???

Being a plumber, tell me why someone would want large tanks. I actually have two of them.

The guy I bought the place from (deceased) has two Quick Tanks 120ga air over galvanized tanks side by side. I assume he was using them for the house and for irrigating his orchard. Is that a reason to have two tanks?

While the trees have been neglected, I am trying to salvage them and even though I may let them go, it would be nice to have the ability to irrigate whatever I want to in the future.

Have you ever used an expansion tank as a well pressure tank?

No I have never used one for a storage well tank.

I have used two 120 gallon galvanized tanks for my own use though. The less the pump motor cycles, the longer it will last. If you irrigate, use enough heads to keep the motor running while watering. With galvanized tanks, you need to keep air in them. This can be done a couple of ways. Bladder tanks are just easier and can almost be forgotten once installed.

That's good info. Thank you. Wish you were closer. I'd have you do the work.

1) So do I replace the galv tanks I have with equivalent size bladder tanks?

2) Do I need one or two tanks?

3) Is that a reason to have two tanks..for irrigation and house water, so that you can have more volume area to fill up and keep the pump running or is it just to have reserve water or both?

Here's what I have:

Two 120ga Galv Tanks
Well depth = 52'
Static level = 21"
Well pumping rate 18gpm
Submersible Goulds 13GS10 = 1hp with range of of 4 - 20gpm
Sounds like my pump is too big doesn't it?
Won't hurt anything, will it?

Last edited:
I'm not up on Goulds model nunbers. The 13 doesn't tell me anything but the 10 could be either one hp or ten gallon per minute. A one hp in that well is way too big for a home. A ten gallon per minute pump end would make way over 100 psi which isn't necessary or wise.

The reason for large tanks is to keep the pump from cycling too much which is hard on motors. With galvanized tanks, you have to keep them aired up. If you want to read up on how etc, go to my FAQ's page.

Last edited:
yes it's a 1hp and the manual says it can do 4-20gpm.
Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

Unless you have a small farm or intend to do some pressure washing without the pressure washer, that is the wrong pump. That pump would work good in a well with a 100 foot+ water level where it's max pressure would be less than 100 psi. If your pump is a 10 gallon per minute model, at your water level it's capable of around 180 psi. That's scarey!

Back