pressure tank issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truelight

Reaction score
Facts: low pressure 20 psi. We had water logged pressure tank. Changed tank. Water has not gone into tank. Still only 20 psi. Did not install check valve. We have a submersible pump. If I turn off power to pump pressure holds at 20. If I leave power on but close the shut off valve after guage, pressure stays at 20. Do you have any ideas? Should I have put in a check valve? Thanks

I don't understand your statement that the water has not gone into the tank. Is it that the pressure won't build beyond 20 psi? Or is it going above 20 psi then drop after the pump turns off.

I can lift the tank easily so I know there is no water in it. Pressure does not go above 20

What is your voltage?

The tank ,did you purchase a pressure tank or a galvanized tank? If you have a pressure tank make sure that the air in the bladder is 2 pounds less then the cut in pressure.

Check for leaks most likely in the casing

Ok i think I might have a leak between my

well pump and house. At the well house I have
2 faucets, 1 on either side of what I think is a

check valve. In my basement I have a shut off.

My pump runs continually at 20 psi. How can I
test to see if there is a leak?

Turn power off to the pump pressure maintains 20 pounds= no leak or a bad gauge. If there is a leak between the pump and pressure tank it will go to zero pounds. Leak after house shutoff the pump should be able to pump up to 40 pounds or whatever your cutoff point is set.

240 volt submersible pump will not pump up to cutoff pressure if there is less than 240 /220 volts. Check your voltage to make sure you have 220/240 volts. Check your pressure switch too.

A pressure tank with bladder will only hold between 7-10 gallons of water. Your galvanized tank was a holding tank and not a pressure tank.

This may be the time to bring in an experienced plumber to test things for you.

It is extremely difficult to learn pumps on a forum. When it takes years to learn

Latest posts

Back