Old Septic Tank Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eichhoernchen

Reaction score
I have an old concrete septic tank. I don't know much about septic tanks and this is the first house I have owned with one. I think it was installed when the house was built in the early 1950's. When I dug it up the lid is cast iron and about 24" by 48" and the hole into the tank is about 20" by 40" or so. I don't know if I have a second tank lid or just the one. I also want to be able to have access without digging it up but I don't know if I can install a riser conversion for it. Any advice would be of great help.

It sounds like you have a old steel tank. There have been cases of people falling into those tanks because of the lids failing. It may be wise to have the tank pumped and have them checkout the lid. Hate to see some child fall into that tank. It can be very dangerous.

John

It might be steel, not too sure, however the lid itself is very heavy and it takes quite the effort to lift. I am having it pumped this friday. I am just wondering how I can make something so I get access to it without having to dig it up. Worst comes to worst, I will just build an access with blocks around and have a peaked lid so rain won't get it.

I'm not sure why you want access, and you might be allowing some pretty foul odors to float out. Digging one up isn't a big deal, they aren't normally more than a foot or so deep.

I have never seen a cast iron tank, I have seen plastic, concrete and even 220 gallon oil drums used as tanks. I used a 55 gallon drum once at a hunting camp.

I agree with John, have it pumped, inspected and repaired if it seems dangerous.

I guess you're right, the time and expense would be a lot more than to simply dig it up every other year

Back