Convertible pump recommendations

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueboat98

Reaction score
I'm a rookie here and appreciate the chance to ask for some good advice.

I have been extremely fortunate to have a great well for over 35 years. When I moved in there was an old Myers pump that chugged along for a total of 52 years. When it finally died I got one at Lowe's and installed it myself - it lasted for 8 years. Now I have a crappy Utilitech that I knew wasn't much good but it was readily available. The well is about 30 feet deep and I have a good 25 gallon bladder tank attached. It should be running at 50/30 but the low end never was quite right. It was nice and quiet at first but now it's making a lot of noise. Sounds like a bearing but it's hard to tell. It's just now two years old. This thing is still under warranty but then I would just have a new crappy pump.

I really need to know what brand convertible jet pump I should get that will last me AND that I can find somewhere. Of course, nearly every brand gets "5 stars" on the sites that are selling them. Price is not a big consideration within reason. I'd like to buy from a local dealer but can do online if that's my only option. I'm 62 years old and I only want to do this one more time.

Thanks!

MC

Seems like you had good luck with Myers, why not go back with Myers -- maybe one of the well/pump guys will come alone with better advice and pro & cons on different pumps.

I would get a Myers in a heartbeat but it seems their product line has changed in the past couple of years and they are hard to find. TSC used to carry them but now they don't. The only Myers dealers anywhere close to me seem to be well drillers that don't necessarily do retail.

Thanks.

A lot of things have changed since Pentair bought out practically every pump manufacturer in the country. You don't what your buying anymore. And they make the almost quality pumps and the junkie ones for the big box stores as well. What a racket.

I sell a jet pump made here in the US, called a Betta Flo made by National Pump Company who is also in the US. You can see them here: Jet Pumps

The old pump is still working fine, just noisy as before. I've found the local Myers distributor through the help of a local plumber. In all seriousness, they don't know as much about pumps as I do since most of their customers are plumbers who already know what they need. They say that I don't need a convertible because the one pipe means that a shallow well pump will be fine. Is that correct?

Also, they only normally handle the shallow well in 1/2 horse. I had 3/4 and 1 horse in the convertibles. Is 1/2 horse OK? What, if anything, would more horsepower give me?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I'm going to break down and do this thing before that old pump forces the issue at an inconvenient time.

Thanks,

MC

If the one pipe is 1-1/4" ID, it's probably a shallow well config. If it's two inch ID, it could be either shallow or deep. No way to tell without pulling the pitless spool or having someone that is familiar with concentric piping take a look.

Latest posts

Back