How big is my septic tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mania64

Reaction score
How do I know how big my septic tank is. When we had the house built I didn't know to ask that question. Is there a way to tell now that everything is buirried?

If there was plans drawn for it they would say or try and contact the company but really without digging it up I think it would be difficult to tell. I would say anywhere from 500 gallon to 2,000 gallon.

Check with your local code office. In Florida, the size was determined by how many bedrooms the house had. 900 gallon for 3 bedroom and 1200 gallon for 4 bedroom.

If you pop the inspection cap on the tank and lower a stick till it hits bottom.

Measure.

Then Pi x radius of lid squared multiplied by the depth , will give you the capacity .

Ive used that simple high school formula quite a few times to determine tank volume

my wife just said that people would not know all the time . what that means

Its easy 3.142 multiplied by the radius of the lid which is the measure from the centre to the edge multiplied by the depth Hint ..
If you keep it all in millimetres then your answer will be in litres
How cool is that

Latest posts

Back