Epoxy putty on natural gas pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Reaction score
Can epoxy putty or J-B Weld be used to seal a very small leak at a threaded joint in 3/4 inch natural gas pipe? This fitting is in an exposed basement ceiling and the leak is so small it was hard to find, but finally did so using soap solution. It would be difficult to rework the folowing piping to tighten the pipe at the fitting. I called J-B Weld and they said their product could be used in this application, but I would like other confirmation.

I would never, ever, condone such a practice on gas pipe.

If it is impossible to disassemble the piping without doing major damage, cutting in a union might be a viable option.

Thanks. I was thinking that might be the case. I thought I had read that unions should only be used in the short length between a shut off valve and an appliance. I know you are not to use them in inaccessable places. In my case it would be accessable. Does that sound OK?

Last time I looked it up in my code, International Plumbing Code, it was legal in an accessible area. Your local code may differ, that is why I said it MIGHT be a viable option.

You should never repair any gas line with epoxy. Never. UPC is against it not to mention the state of Cali.

UPC approved repair is a left-right coupling or compression fitting.

Back