Well system help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shavstone

Reaction score
Hello
We have lived in our house for three years now. Last summer we began having lower water pressure when our sprinklers ran. This year as soon as the pressure tank is empty, I have no pressure at all. After a lot of research and troubleshooting, I decided to change our pressure switch. I increased from 30-50 to 40-60. The issue is not the pump or water supply. If I run the hose out of my pump house (off the bottom of my filter) the pump will run continuously and push as much water as I want , as long as I want. The problem comes when the tank is empty. The pump will run about 3 seconds then shut off. The pressure drops to 40 and it kicks on after about 10 seconds. This continues for at least an hour until our 60 gallon tank is full. I believe there is something restricting the water from entering the pressure tank. Does this make sense? Could it be as simple as replacing the tank and my problems are solved? Could it be a problem with the piping between my well and pressure tank?

If the filter is between the pump and tank take it out.
The filter should go after it leaves the tank, that's if you really need the filter at all. From the sound of your post. I think the filter is your problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read and give suggestions. The filter was definitely my problem. I do need a filter due to sand and lava rock deposits in our well. I cant believe it was something so simple. I feel like a fool now. We have been dealing with this problem for weeks and had several people out to help (even a couple contractors). Thanks again.

If the sand is a big problem, they do make a type of sediment remover. It works like your filter but without a filter.
Leave the filter housing just take out the element. It will work like a settling tank.

You can also filter out sand with a tank not quite full of sand. You use a water softener tank and a simple in/out head along with a softener distributor tube. But it goes after the tank, not before it.

I use a Russco spin down filter to get most of my sediment and sand. Then a pleated filter after that. I'm guessing my pump is sunk too close to the bottom, I have to flush it almost daily during the Summer.

Where the pump doesn't matter. The water comes from the same place no matter where the pump is. If the pump can pick it up, it's in suspension in the water and will get to the pump regardless of how close to the bottom. The sand is moving with the water.

If the sand is that bad leaving the filter housing before the tank is a good idea. Just the housing NO element. If you have a see through filter housing, you will be able to see the sand building up and can empty it when it needs.

Just my thoughts on it.

Latest posts

Back