corroded at wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momsaysno

Reaction score
My bathroom sink drain is corroded at the wall and leaks. There is no longer enough room for a plastic compression fitting to attach. I attempted to install a boot with hose clamps but there isn't enough pipe left to grab that either. Behind the wall is lead pipe attached to the main stack. Do I need to mate something to the old lead or tear up the wall to the stack and figure out how to replace the lead drain?

Time to go into the wall. Sorry, I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the only way to fix it correctly. You can remove the lead pipe, and purchase a No-Hub (brand name) donut to continue out with PVC. (I am assuming this is a drain line and not a water supply)

Time to go into the wall. Sorry, I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the only way to fix it correctly. You can remove the lead pipe, and purchase a No-Hub (brand name) donut to continue out with PVC. (I am assuming this is a drain line and not a water supply)

Thanks for the reply. There is still a flange on the lead. Is this maybe part of an old brass pipe? Should I cut the flange or heat it and attempt to pull it off?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it is. It is flat on the end of the pipe about a half inch all the way around. I can slice into it with a utility knife. What do you advise? Just cut it?

Pictures would be great about now!

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=400&stc=1&d=1282656265

attachment.php

Ended up cutting lead pipe. Went to local pumbing supply co. and bought a speciality no hub connector. I took in the piece I cut off to get the correct size. Then I cut a short piece of 1.25 brass tubing and lined the inside of the lead so the no hub clamp wouldn't deform the lead. I put it all back together....so no leaks! Thanks for your help and advice.

Last edited:
It didn't. Are you using the upload attachment in the 'Go Advanced' settings?

Latest posts

Back