Where is the water going?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterz54

Reaction score
Have a 60 gallon bladder tank and 4" well with 1 hp submersible. Just installed a new 40/60 pressure switch to replace the 30/50. Set tank pressure to 38 psi with system unpressurized (it was at 19).

After closing the breaker I made sure the house lines were open and voided all the air.

I sat down by the well head to check the pressure gauge to make sure the pump was cycling from 40 to 60, which it was. But I noticed the pressure start to drop as soon as the pump cut off. I timed it at just under 3 minutes. I closed the valve at the well which leads to the house and still the pressure drops to 40 in just under 3 minutes. drawdown for this tank and pressure setting should be about 16 gallons. The only place the water can go is back into the well.

What is likely happening here? Failed check valve on submersible?

Last edited:
You didn't give us the pump brand, whether you have PVC, Poly or Galvanized drop pipe or where the tank and switch is in relation to this well head. Is the valve your referring to after the tank?

Latest posts

Back