Winter questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlerace

Reaction score
I have frost-free outside faucets, so my questions are about them.
Can I leave a hose attached to them through the winter?
How cold does it need to be for me to put those foam insulators over them?

As far As I know, your not suppost to leave a hose connected to a faucet, we lost 1 of them on our house because it froze one night in the early fall and cracked the valve.

We allways put the little cover over ours before winter starts, then just leave it on untill spring. I would assume it should be put on before it gets much past the high 20's.

No, I flooded a basement powerwashing a driveway. There was a 2 inch split behind the wall when the plumber cut and pulled the faucet out. He left the hose on during the winter

Don't leave the hose connected. I have a couple friends that had leaks in the wall after that.

Never used a cover here I think they are for non-frost valves. -25F when I got up this morning :)

A frostfree faucet works by having the shut-off mechanism, at the rear of the extended pipe, being inside the foundation. It should be pitched downwards towards the outside of the home to allow drainage after being shut off. No hoses should be left attached or the faucet will not drain properly and will freeze. I use the foam cover to prevent any cold air from coming into the house from around the pipe.

frost proof or not the foam covers are alot cheaper than opening the wall to fix a burst pipe. Cheap $5 or less insurance IMO next spring take them off and put them up till next year. It doesnt get real cold here and I put them on my exterior faucets every year.

Latest posts

Back