Water Supply Pipe Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyron

Reaction score
I am replacing a faucet in a bathroom. When removing the shut off valve, the compression ring deformed about an inch of the copper water supply pipe coming from the wall. As you can see in the pic, I cut off the damaged portion of the pipe but was left with only about a 1/2 off copper pipe coming out of the drywall under the sink (I temporarily capped the pipe with an end cap). There's approximately 1 and 1/2 inch of pipe through the drywall until it hits a pipe holder (in the pic, the tan portion under the pipe.)

1. Does code specify the length of copper supply pipe that comes out of the wall? Could I put an angle stop on the short pipe that remains outside the drywall?

2. What's my best option right now for connecting a new angle stop?

I could call a plumber but I'd really like to finish the job myself.

Thank you for any help.

Water supply.jpg

Yes, there's a a cabinet with doors under the sink.

If I extend the pipe, would I sweat a copper coupling onto the existing pipe and sweat a short pipe to the other end of the coupling for the angle stop?

Is there an alternative to sweating to extend the pipe? It's in a pretty small cabinet under the sink.

If I extend the pipe, would I sweat a copper coupling onto the existing pipe and sweat a short pipe to the other end of the coupling for the angle stop?

Is there an alternative to sweating to extend the pipe? It's in a pretty small cabinet under the sink.

If you aren't comfortable sweating a piece of pipe on it, use a shark bite like what you have on their now (the cap). You should need a piece much bigger than maybe three inches.

Back