Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Water Heaters and Softeners > Rattling pipes on 2nd floor Bath ONLY when HOT water on. Plumber wants $600

Old 03-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
TNguy
Established Member

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-18 View Post
It could be not strapped down well enough. You could also have a washer on the valve starting to go bad and disrupting the flow of water causing vibration. It is sometimes hard to tell without being there. Some of the service guys may know more than me, i am more industrial/commercial.
Thank you for replying.

I spoke with an engineer at Metro water and he suggested that electric water heater tanks do not "need" an expansion tank when installing a PRV valve. He said gas water heater tanks do, but not electric one.s since the heating process is faster on a gas powered one. He agreed that plumbers recommend expansion tanks sometimes to apiece the warranty on the tanks as required by the manufacturers.

Does this sound correct, it would save me money to only install a PRV. Thoughts?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
SHEPLMBR
not a Junior Member anymore!

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Install the PRV. We have been saying that for a while.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #13
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1705 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 359

110 psi for the city water pressure is normal, depending on where you live.
the city has the pressure that high in order to deliver water down the road on top of some hill somewhere.

depending on the municipality, they get water to your meter. PERIOD, you can reduce the pressure if you wish
they do not care. lol..in other words, they do not want the expense or maintance head ache for 1000 prv's
that i te reason it is yours to deal with.
around here it is the same way, what is on this side of the meter is my responsibility,

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
SHEPLMBR
not a Junior Member anymore!

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Like I said before. It will blow your fixtures if it continues.