Need help with Taco 009-BF wiring

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hevykevy420

Reaction score
I decided to do a DIY installation of a recirculation pump for a dedicated hot water return line to the upstairs hot water heater. For years we have wondered why it takes > 5 mins. to get hot water at the kitchen. I finally figured out when the previous hot water tank was installed they capped off the return line near the water heater. No wonder the hot water takes forever...

To make a long story short, I installed a 009-BF Taco circulation pump. I've done some basic wiring/plumbing so thought I would try. I wanted to wire a regular 3 prong 12gauge plug to the pump so I could plug it into a digital timer plugged into a nearby outlet. This way I could run the pump differently on weekend days compared to weekdays. The digital timer I used appeared to support the pump amerage and HP. I also wired the pump with an aquastat to shut the pump off when the water in the recirculation line was up to temp.

Unfortunately when I plugged the pump in something may have been wired wrong as I heard a pop. Or, I shorted the pump accidently as I noticed a very small leak from the flange ball valve handle, and it looks like some water dribbled into the electric box on the pump. I unplugged the pump but the damage was done.

Does anyone know the correct wiring for this pump using a 3 prong cord and an aquastat? I need to verify I wired it correctly. If water shorted the pump, is the whole pump shot or can I salvage anything? Do I just need to replace the capacitor? This pump has never even been run :(

Any help would be appreciated.

I would hate to guess on correct wiring. I would recommend that you contact the company via web site or telephone call to get the information needed.

I hate forum posts where the resolution was never posted, so here goes. I received the wiring information from Taco customer support through email. They were great. Circ pump is installed and running properly with the aquastst! NO leaks, and we now have hot water quickly to the kitchen. She is happy, so I am happy :)

I'm glad you solved the problem. Also, thank you for this last reply because I too hate unanswered questions!

I hate forum posts where the resolution was never posted, so here goes. I received the wiring information from Taco customer support through email. They were great.

Circ pump is installed and running properly with the aquastst! NO leaks, and we now have hot water quickly to the kitchen.

She is happy, so I am happy :)

:confused: ...hmmpf...

AQUASTAT-

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An aquastat is a device used in hydronic heating systems for controlling water temperature. To prevent the boiler from firing too often, aquastats have a high limit temperature and a low limit. If the thermostat is calling for heat, the boiler will fire until the high limit is reached, then shut off (even if the thermostat is still calling for heat). The boiler will re-fire if the boiler water temperature drops below a range around the high limit. The high limit exists for the sake of efficiency and safety. The boiler will also fire (regardless of thermostat state) when the boiler water temperature goes below a range around the low limit, ensuring that the boiler water temperature remains above a certain point. The low limit is intended for tankless domestic hot water---it ensures that boiler water is always warm enough to heat the domestic hot water. Many aquastats also have a "diff" control which determines the size of the range around the "low" and/or "high" controls.

Aquastat is a registered Trademark of Honeywell International Inc.

I am researching how to build a hot water recirculation dedicated return loop with pump on a timer.

Can one of you well versed gentlemen tutor me on the use of this device and exactly how it would benefit the system?

Sorry to HI-JACK but the question seems appropriate within this thread.

Back