set up toilet for outdoor DOG water bowl'

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandi

Reaction score
Is this possible? How difficult?
What do I need to know?

Our ranch is located in a hot climate porcelain toilet would keep the water cooler than regular water bowls

thanks

Sandi P.

Because the toilet has the float inside the tank and not inside the bowl, it would not work without heavy modification. If cool water is what you are trying to achieve, why not use the dog lick waterer which installs on an outside bib? There is no water loss, always comes out cool, no chance for contamination and dogs are easily trained to use it.

Also, most large pet supply stores carry bowls with a built in float in order to keep water level at the same level. I've used these both with great success with my two German Shepherds.

DueaShe to hot climate water from. the lik-it's on faucets is always warm.

I want to be able to flush the toilet several times a day to provide cool water.

It can be done, but you will have to flush not only the warm water in the bowl, but also the warm water in the tank. Then, you would need to flush one more time to get cool water into the tank, and them flush one more time to transfer the cold water to the bowl. So far, you will have wasted approximately 8 gallons of precious California water, and need to find a way to either dump the water into a drain line, or channel it to a useful destination.

Have you considered installing a PVC line 2'-3' below ground, where it would remain cool? Any water from this line would be quite a bit cooler than sun soaked pipes, and could be easily transfered into a bowl containing a float?

Latest posts

Back